Spyware :: Information :: Adware or Spyware
Spyware or Adware?
Although the two types of programs are different, people seem to write them to mean the same thing? The fine line between the two is not surprising. It seems to be the annoyed people with various program installed calling it spyware and the actual developers calling it Adware.
What are the key differences?
- Adware will clearly show its presence during the installation stage, spyware will not.
- Spyware typically won't add any benefit to the user.
- Spyware tracks surfing habits or other usage tracks and sends them to a remote location.
- Spyware programs will normally be more difficult to uninstall compared to Adware programs.
Above shows information about spyware taken directly from kazaa.com. Kazaa is notorious for the large amounts of spyware it comes bundled with (see Adoko's Spyware test). In fact it comes with 3 different spyware programs including WhenU's SaveNow and Cydoor. So how can they openly say it doesn't include spyware? As far as they're concerned those programs are not spyware at all, they're adware programs which is also what the developers of WhenUSave state.
"7. IS SAVENOW SPYWARE? SaveNow is Ad-ware, NOT spyware. "
This question is taken from Whenu.com on the FAQ page. People have different views about this and it can be difficult to differentiate to two. Despite what WhenU happen to claim, I would classify SaveNow is spyware. My reasons are as follows;
- Adware must clearly show it's presence while downloading, although some versions of SaveNow attempt to install by drive-by methods using ActiveX. It's presence is no longer clear particularly to users with low security settings.
- Some SaveNow variants can automatically download and update this software automatically. Very few legitimate software does this without even the option for conformation before updating.
- Some variants of SaveNow have no add/remove entry in the control panel, thus not making it an easy uninstall, and will need to be deleted manually including the BHO is uses. This can be a very difficult process.
These three points to me clearly indicate the SaveNow is far from being just Adware. Many other spyware companies operate in this way, clearly trying to confuse users by not even admitting that their program is spyware. Although I think some people may be over the top and always claim Adware to be spyware, many of the programs I've seen I would definitely say they're Spyware even if their site claims otherwise.